Familiarise yourself with the kind of work we like. We publish fiction and non-fiction, biography and poetry, with themes that range from the paranormal to mystery and psychology, from angels to druids and more. In general, authors should first contact us with a brief synopsis of their work (200 words), a statement of how it Supports the Local Legend vision, and an opening chapter. Also consider the following points about how we operate:
- To keep costs down, we generally only publish paperback books, on white paper with a limited number of illustrations. However, printing and binding is of the highest quality and our covers are professionally designed and in full colour.
- Our books are produced in the UK, the USA, Europe and Australia on a Print On Demand basis and are available for distribution worldwide, including all major outlets. After print publication there is a further option to make the title available as an eBook, available on all platforms.
- We accept only completed manuscripts, preferably fully edited, in MS Word and submitted electronically. (No headers/footers or page numbering please.)
- We do not offer any financial advance on royalties, but upon publication royalties are paid in full, quarterly in arrears. Royalties are typically 15-20% of the book’s retail price, substantially higher than most traditional publishers offer.
- Upon acceptance in principle of a manuscript, a one-off very low Consultancy Fee is payable. Because we are an ethical, not- for-profit company that exists to support authors, this is a fraction of what most other independent companies charge. Full details of this will be provided at that time but it includes basic editing, text formatting, cover design and all administration.
- We believe that the marketing and publicity of the work is the author’s responsibility, although we offer extensive and detailed professional advice in this area. We also share in the marketing effort and many of our books are entered for national prizes.